Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Kids are Sick...I Can't Come In Today


How many times have you had to call the boss and explain that the kids are sick and you can't make it to work because no one will watch them?  I remember doing it a lot when my kids were little.  However, now that I am Nana, as well as the babysitter, I don't get to, or even have to, call in.  That is just one of the many reasons I love being my own boss and working the hours I want to.  How do you manage to get through the day when your kids are sick and you have so much to do?


Today I am babysitting my 1 and 3 year old grandsons and they are both feeling bad....runny nose, fussy, cough, etc.  The 1 year old is not dealing with it well.  He cries every time you look at him.  It breaks my heart!  Nap time is the best time of the day.  Haha! However, I can't stop doing everything I need to do either.  So, I cuddle for a while then work for a while, then cuddle for a while longer.  Right now, they are both finally watching cartoons and life is peaceful, but I am not sure how long it is going to last.  So here are a few tips for those that work from home and have sick kids to care for:

1. Prioritize your calendar
       Figure out which projects are the most important and which ones can wait!  Your sick children need you more than your projects.

2. Rest
     Taking care of your family is hard enough, but when they are sick it takes a bigger toll on you. Make sure you eat, drink plenty of fluids, and rest as much as you can. You have to take care of you to be able to take care of them.

3. Enlist Help
     Don't be afraid to ask for help!  Ask your team members, co-workers, family, friends, and even neighbors.  It is ok to need help.  If you don't ask, you won't get it! The help needed might be as small as taking out the trash or cooking a meal, but help is help and sometimes you just need it.


If you are still working outside the home, here is a great article from Today's Parent: The Working Parent's Guide to Dealing With Sick Kids

No comments:

Post a Comment