Monday, March 25, 2013

Starting My First Garden

I have to admit that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing when it comes to gardening or planting flowers, but today I put some seeds in some dirt and watered them in hopes that I will have some fresh veggies this summer. I also started one pot of flowers just so I have something pretty to look at.

I started with the flowers.  I do not have any flower pots yet so I had to make my own out of a 2 liter bottle.  It was really easy and, according to my daughter, it works well.  Here are the steps:



Gather all of the supplies you are going to need to start your seeds.  I gathered newspaper, a bag of soil, a hand rake to break up the soil, egg cartons, scissors, a shoe lace, a 2 liter bottle, scissors, and a spray bottle of water.  I gathered all of my seeds so they were readily available as well.  

Cut the bottle in half. 

Poke a hole in the lid. 
Run a shoe string through the hole. 

Put the lid back on the bottle top leaving the string hanging into the bottom and turn the top upside down into the bottom of the bottle. 

Run the string through the bottom of a coffee filter and insert the filter into the bottle lining the "top". 

Break up the soil and moisten it with water.  The soil should be damp like a sponge but not soaked. 

Put dirt in the top half of the bottle filling the coffee filter while holding the string up through the center of the dirt. Cut the string to the appropriate length.  Add your seeds to the soil, cover them with more damp soil, and put water in the bottom of the bottle.  The string will keep the seeds watered with as much water as they need to survive, you just have to remember to put water in the bottle. It is that easy!  

I also planted some tomatoes, peppers, beans, okra, and snap peas.  I used the egg cartons for those so when they are ready to plant all I have to do is tear the carton apart and plant them.  Now I just need all of the snow to go away and the weather to warm up.  I still have a lot of seeds left so hopefully I can find some more egg cartons soon.  

Next project........chickens!  :) 







No comments:

Post a Comment